Sunday, August 21, 2011

Community.

Today I had the neatest experience.
So i was on a bota ride across town, and had a driver named Alli.
He was a father of six, and just such a genuine awesome super cool man!
Goodness, meeting people is awesome.
Anyways, the whole time do you know what he talked about?
His country, Uganda.
And his people.
He just went on and on about the spirit of the people here in Uganda.
How yeah, there's poverty everywhere but he sees so much good happening in that every day.
He said he see's hope, and can see God working in Uganda.
He was so proud....
And wanted to do what he could to make his country better. He really had a heart for the people here...his people.
The concept of community here is incredible...like NONE i have ever seen before.
This guy, Alli, was a bota (motorcycle taxi) driver.
He probably wouldn't go anywhere else in life.
He will spend his days providing for his wife and six kids.
He will make enough money to make ends meet and have food and a home and education for his kids.
He won't have much, but he will have enough.
He won't go anywhere great, extravagant, or far away.
And my friend Alli, is doing his very best right where he is at.
Spreading the love of Jesus right where he is at.
Sometimes, the powerful thing isn't in people who do the extravagant or the extraordinary.
But in the hardworking man like him.
Who doesn't have much, but to him it's plenty....because he loves his people and desires to see them do better! And he's helping them, coming alongside of them -- his community.
Simple right?
But to me, that's powerful.
Contemtment and complacency are two very different things.
And Alli, was content with what God had given him, and each day would do his very best with what he'd been given and beyond.
And then he'd wake up, and do it again.
Joy.....this man had it.
And oh, was he spreading it around!
Lesson learned today...pay attention to what's in front of you. Sometimes, although they are the most obvious, they are the most easily missed.
Alli, was taking a strange white girl across town on a fifteen minute boda ride.
He gives hundreds of rides each day.
And he still chose to notice what was in front of him...little old me...
never forgetting to notice the moment.
And because he noticed the moment, he taught me something today.
He's living a life of purpose, Alli is.
Even the small things, are perfectly painted into our lives by the Wonderful Artist, Himself.

Some things that make my heart smile today...


Today I've learned that maybe sometimes i block out the things that my eyes see here..for the sake of it being too overwhelming to process at the moment.
Blocking things out, never the answer.
There is ALWAYS room for Hope.  May i even breathe Love and gleam Hope at everything i see and witness daily.
Today I've learned that friendships, well are just special. Relationships---are beautiful and SO VERY necessary.
Today I've seen and learned the importance and resilience of community.
Today I've gotten the grace of experiencing strangers being so very kind and helpful.
Today I've learned the beauty that singing outside in church to acoustic worship while holding a little girl who's whispering the song so beautifully in my ear with her little African accent has to offer.
Today I've giggled and danced with Zack in church.
Today I've learned that we are called to embrace the things that may pain our hearts to see.
Serving and sharing Truth, doesn't always come in the easy and attractive.
Today I've learned the power of a smile.
Today I've learned once again what it looks like to approach a Throne of Grace.
Today I've been humbled and knocked on my knees.
Today I've laughed and laughed and laughed.


These next pictures are specifically for my mom (who is pictured in the middle below) She's just on my heart tonight so i wanted to do something special for her. She is kind of just wonderful and i am so beyond thankful for her! If you don't know her well, i recommend you doing so. She will change your life. Her capacity to love will inspire you. And her joy will challenge you.

Mom, this was my lunch. PINEAPPLE.

And this is my dinner..ROLEX.. the thing i was telling you about :) LOVE YOU MOM!! so much! Just wanted to share this with you...hope this made your morning to see....Now you can feel like you've been at two meals with me


Since grace has been on my heart a lot lately, i thought i would share this song with you! Please, soak it in.
Grace, yeah its pretty unfathomable.




No comments:

Post a Comment