Monday, August 1, 2011

2 blogs in a day?! i know. but this is important i feel...

I just had the most awesome experience.
You see, there was this guy who couldn't charge his computer because he didn't have a power converter.
He was probably the type of man people would avoid or be scared of.
He wore all black, covered in tattoos,
had a long jet black mohawk,
had lots of piercings,
and wore lots of spikes.

The kind of person we are TAUGHT to avoid right?

Well I saw him and spoke up, "Hey, I have a power converter, come on over and use mine!"

Because what I'm taught is to deem no one avoidable by their appearance.
They all have a story just like you and I.

You see, what i'm TAUGHT is to love. to be Love.
That's it.
Love the humble.
Love the proud.
Love the beautiful orphans.
and Love the man covered in black and tattoos.
No exceptions or what ifs or buts....
Just Love.
and share who you are with others.

That's the point anyways isn't it?

To take what we've been given and give it.
We are blessed to bless.

So today my prayer for me and you is that we'd stop seeing people through the world's eyes.

That when our heart is transformed, our eyes would be also.
That we would see people in front of us as an opportunity to just give, even a simple conversation.

By the way, When i offered my charger, he said that he would be so incredibly grateful.

When he sat by me to charge it, we had a great talk about his band and the music he loves and the stereotyping he too often falls into.

Then, when i went to eat, he offered to watch my suitcase.
I gladly accepted his offer!

I saw it right then, in his eyes, in his smile.

He was surprised i trusted him to watch it.
He smiled and said it wouldn't leave his sight!

I watched him as i walked to the cafe. He looked so grateful that someone gave him a chance to know him for who he was on the inside, and not just judge by his appearance.

When i returned, there he was with my luggage!
I sat down and he wheeled it right in front of me for me and complimented my pillow pet.

I told him thank you and he said it was absolutely such a pleasure for him. (in an awesome Australian accent)

He asked me where I was off too so i got to share with him my heart and passions.

His name is Carl.
Carl's my new friend!
He's glancing at me now as I write this and have my Bible out by my bag. Who knows?
Maybe he's looking at that and contemplating what he saw. I pray that it clicks that when he saw me he was seeing the character of Jesus Himself.
I mess up at this all of the time and i am so far from living this out!
But today i learned something and my eyes are opened a little bit more to the world around me.
And that, ladies and gents, is my lovely airport experience!

2 comments:

  1. YAY!!! You are there!!!! Love your blog! Thank you for being a light for Jesus. I will pray for Carl. You made a difference. Talked to Amy & heard she was not at the house when you got there!!:( She had to wait 1 1/2 hours for the matatu guy to leave! So she missed you!:( So sad!! She's tried to call Emily & also the driver but no answers. Thanks for dropping off the bags! I am SOOOOOO excited for all God is gonna do IN you and THROUGH you there and HERE as we read your blog and pray!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica!! Fired up sweet sister, you are your mothers child!! Oh and daddy's too:) I love you!!!! Katharyn

    ReplyDelete