Saturday, March 3, 2012

Thought of the morning.

I have a lot of things to update about things going on here!
But until I have more time to really sit down and write it all out, I wanted to share a thought that was on my mind today.
Matthew 7:21-23.
I would encourage you guys to just really dig into the Bible.
Yes, sometimes it can be scary. And sometimes it's easier (and also really good) to read other books ABOUT the Bible.
But when you really look into what it has to say, that these are the VERY words the Creator of the whole world has to say, it changes things. It does for me. It's exciting and scary all at the same time.
But humbling, too.
To know that these very words are here to correct us, help us, and to challenge us in life.
And that every single bit of it is Truth. Pure truth.

Anyways,
I was reading through Matthew this morning and came upon these verses. I've read them before, but this morning they hit me really hard.

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’"








I know this verse may seem intimidating. Harsh. and unattractive.
And it is harsh. And it does intimidate me and challenge me.
But what it's saying is powerful and really really neat.

Jesus is saying that a lot of people come to Him saying that they have done all of these great things. And even great things in His name. They had healed people and their "to do" list in life was looking pretty great in the worlds eyes. And they really believed they had it right with God.
This is my own paraphrase, but I can see me talking to Jesus like, "Oh I have done all of these awesome things. I mean I went to Africa. I'm helping children. And telling people about you." We all can in our own ways... "Look what I did for you. Look how i handled this situation. I've done these great things. I have given away so much..."
Because I do approach life that ways sometimes.
By what I do and don't do.
By a checklist.
By my behavior and actions.
"But Jesus, I am good. I am doing good."

But do you know what He said to those people in the verse. "Apart from me, you evildoers. I NEVER KNEW YOU."

Sounds harsh and unfair, right?
Initially, it did to me. And yeah, it is harsh.
And then it hit me. That this so vividly portrays God's heart.
That our actions and deeds is not what it is about.
That our behavior isn't what it's about either.
It's about nothing that we DO.

He just desires to know us.
To know me.
Apart from what we do, He desires the very core of us. Our hearts.
And from what is inside of our hearts, our actions will overflow.

And when I read through the Psalms.
A man after God's own heart wrote these chapters.
And some of them sound angry and hurt.
Some of his words explain how he doesn't understand things.
Throughout these chapters, he isn't trying to flatter God in any way.
In fact, he questions God. Doesn't understand a lot. He gets angry sometimes.
But Jesus knew him, because he desired to know God.
He didn't desire to show or portray a routine.
He was real in the face of his Maker.


Hmmm....and that's something that I'm learning.
And digging out what that really looks like.
To worship not for show but really from the core of me, even when I don't completely understand it all.
To really seek out truth and not just what I've been told by others.
For my God to know me.
And my real heart, not just my actions or behavior.
But my heart.

To be real.
Crazy real, before my Maker.


Much love :)

No comments:

Post a Comment