Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Life as of late.

So lately. a lot has been going on. Lots of big things and lots of little things. All in the same, beautiful things.
Some hard, yes.
Some easier, yes.
But believing that in the end they all end up in beauty (maybe not beauty as the world defines it)
Because I'm continuing to learn eucharisto.
Finding thankfulness in ALL things. Seeing nothing as mundane.  But everything as important. The serious, the funny, the sad, the hard, and the crazy. all of it. I am so thankful for.

In the past weeks I have cried many tears at the loss of sweet friends in the past months. Important people in my life who have left because their time here on earth was completed. They came and served exactly how they were supposed to. And Jesus wanted them Home -- to their real home. So to home they went.
And I can hear it now. Each being greeted by the words very boldly proclaimed to them, "Well done, my good and faithful servant."

In the past weeks, I've learned to love Africa more. The people and culture, as crazy and irritating as sometimes it can be -- well, I've fallen harder in love with it and its craziness. I'm learning the importance of getting to know each persons name that I am in contact with -- even contact information sometimes -- and not just merely stopping at "hello, thank you for helping me." But names -- they are important.
And even though I get called crude remarks by men daily and get slapped in the face with a rolled up newspaper from a random person, I've learned to love it. To laugh at it sometimes.
To love and appreciate different cultures -- without comparing it to my own. And seeing God in a bigger way, His heart and creativity, through the vast differences in cultures of the world.

In the past weeks, I've loved on some of my favorite kids in the planet. Danced with them. Prayed with them. Put them in time- out (plenty of times), swing with them, laugh with them, helped them when they fall down and get hurt. These kids have become my family. My love. I would do ANYTHING for them. In the past weeks, I've realized and learned even more how very little genetics have to do with loving children as they are your very own.

In the past weeks, I have made leaps in my medical knowledge. I put in my first IV into another  person (successfully the first time!), and I have put in a suppository because I had no other option due to a very high fever in this little guy. For those of you who don't know what that is, just don't look it up. It's gross. And not so pleasant. But my little man was sick and nothing was working and I was in charge for the day -- so it had to be done. Maybe this is too much detail, but just wanted to say that I'm learning a lot more how to care for the sick!

In the past weeks, I've met people. People that need help. People that don't ask for it, but when I talk to them their heart pours out. And with the help of a donation, I'm getting the opportunity to just be a small part in helping my friend, William, send his kids to school. And I've gotten to help neighbors who just need help with transport. And my sweet friend, Constance, who sells avocados in the market -- her son is having trouble affording school. SO i get the chance to just go buy an avocado from her every day and occasionally some bananas and soda, too. This gives me a chance to love her, talk to her, and support her family. But I just desire her to know that I see her as a friend that I've gotten to meet. Not a charity case. That. I. just. love. her.

In the past weeks, I've had lots to think through and lots to process. I've had to pray a lot and read a lot. I've gotten to see sunsets from waking up at 5 am. And i've gotten the beauty of strong coffee (shout out to starbucks verona blend) in the mornings. I've gotten to enjoy fresh fruit every day for breakfast. I've gotten to raft down the Nile River...twice. I've gotten to see the source of the Nile River and soak in its history. I've gotten to sing. Play music. and lead music. I've gotten to dance, and learn even more dance moves. I've gotten better at wall sits and at speaking Lugandan. I've gotten better at bargaining.
I've gotten closer to friends here, and met some pretty awesome new ones.
I've gotten to see more of who God is.. really is... apart from religion.
In the past weeks, I've failed a lot. And over reacted a lot. And not done the right thing a lot.
But in that, I'm seeing grace abound all the more.
And that makes me excited.
In the past weeks, I've missed my friends and family back home. Sometimes, so much that it hurts.
But at the same time, I'm so grateful for the family -- the community that I have here. A home away from home.

In the past weeks I've learned that wherever God leads me in the future, even in the next year....that this time in my life, this opportunity to live and serve in Uganda, I will never regret.
It was a pounding on my heart that got to be put into reality last year.
And for now, it's perfect.
Not sure what the future looks like, but its okay.
Serving these children. Finding them families. Learning more about this country and all my sweet Ugandan friends here (and even some, not so sweet).
It's all worth it.
It's all perfect in the timing.
And I will NEVER regret this. Because when there is a passion put inside of us, and we pursue it with the utmost respect honesty and aggression....
I believe it will play out exactly as it should.
And everyones lives look different.
But i encourage you now, to see the moment -- the very moment that you are in now -- and see it for what it is worth. It's perfect timing. You are there for a reason. So be there. Soak it in. Learn. Love. Challenge. Grow. Mess up. And start over daily.
Just. be. all. there.

much love :)

No comments:

Post a Comment